In the midst of his debut US Tour concluding a hectic and very succesful 2013, Londoner Sam Young aka Vanilla Ace took time out of his busy schedule to chat with WWD. It makes for some lighthearted and interesting reading. Some great selections for track of the year hidden in there too! Check it out!
1. You’re currently on your debut Vanilla Ace tour in the US. What was the one thing you couldn’t leave home without?
My MacBook with all my tunes (I use Serato to DJ) and my trusty neck cushion! Makes flying that little bit more comfortable.
2. And how’s the tour going? Been testing out some new tracks over there? The Chicago remix probably went down a storm on the opening night!
The tour has been great so far, en route to Albuquerque as I write this on the plane! Been testing a few new tracks to a great response which is always good to see. And yes the Chicago remix did go down well on the opening night. Good timing Pete Griffiths! Lol
3. You’re probably always answering these questions about your own gigs so we’ll change it up a bit. What’s the most memorable gig you’you’ve ever been to and why?
My most memorable gig would have to be seeing Prince at Wembley when I was a teenager, Chaka Khan opened for him and I briefly said hello to him backstage I was awe struck. The man is a genius.
4. You’ve been very busy this year, plenty of top productions doing the rounds. Musicology EP on OFF a big success. How do you do it?What’s the set up?
I always get the ideas and the bones of a track ready at home then I’ll go into one of the studios I use in London to finish things up. I use Ableton mainly to produce, but sometimes switch to Logic depending on the track and what’s needed.
5. Do you produce on the road? Because there’s always a steady stream of new material from you. If so, how do you approach the challenge?
I don’t produce on the road. A lot of the stuff coming out now was done awhile ago or just before I started my tour. I would find it stressful to be producing whilst flying all over the place.
6. Your latest original with Sharam Jey & Chad Tyson just dropped this week on Bunny Tiger’s Selection Vol. 3 compilation. You’ve worked with Sharam before. Had you worked with Chad before or where does that relationship date back to?
What was it like to work with the guys on Higher? I’ve known Chad for years, he’s one of my closest friends. We’ve done the London circuit for a long time. ‘Higher’ was made during the summer, but Sharam finished it off and wanted it for the new Bunny Tiger comp. I came up with the bass idea, Chad had the vocal, Sharam sprinkled some magic on top.
7. What’s your favourite flavour of ice cream? Surely not Vanilla?
Mint Choc chip and Cookie Dough! Haha
8. Speaking of Vanilla. How did the alias come about?
I was on Facebook reading comments about something and saw a friend mention ‘Vanilla Ace’…immediately I thought that would make a great alias name.
9. Coming towards the end of the 2013, what were some of your favourite tracks this year?
It’s been a great year for music! My top ten of 2013 would be (in no particular order)
10. What does 2014 have in store for Vanilla Ace? More productions? A trip to Dublin maybe?
2014 is looking just as busy as this year! Lots of releases and remixes coming. I’d love to come and play in Dublin, haven’t been for years.
11. Finally, what do you want for Christmas?
A great residency somewhere hot next summer!
So big ups for the gent that is Vanilla Ace for stopping by! He has a brand new EP entitled Mirage accompanied by some tasty remixes out now on Dear Deer Records. Check it out below and grab your copy on Beatport HERE.