Kydus is a name we became familiar with at the turn of 2014. Yousef was spinning Kydus tracks that were still in the making. ‘Free Spirit’ was a staple in these and each time you could hear it’d been tweaked here and there. Eventually Free Spirit saw it’s release on Yousef’s esteemed Circus Recordings and the hype around the EP was massive, deservedly so too!
2014 has been a big year for the Merseyside man so we stopped him for a chat and it seems 2015 is only gonna be bigger and better! Take a read of what he had to say and keep the eyes and ears peeled for Kydus in 2015!
So you’re a Liverpudlian. Red or Blue??
What’s been on the agenda for you of late? We’re sure you’re busy. Studio?
- Yeah i have been busy working on various eps & remixes and ive got 8 unsigned eps together out of the 10 am aiming for, for 2015
What kinda vibes can we expect from productions in 2015?
- I must admit i do love my techno but as always I am putting my own stamp on things which is a must!
You’ll be featuring in our podcast series in the new year and we’re very much looking forward to this. Will we be hearing these projects in your mix?
- I am aiming to feature all my unreleased tracks on the podcast for you guys and all the listeners
Obviously your biggest supporter to date surely must be Yousef? Did you know him before he signed your stuff or how did that relationship come about?
- I have been a fan of Yousef from when i got my first set of decks, which coming up to 16 years ago, and being from Liverpool Yos is one of the djs you aspire to be like and to be as successful as. as what he as achieved is incredible. My relationship with him came about from when i signed my collaboration Ep with my good friend David Glass. “Get a taste of this dopeness” which was the first release on Ki Creighton’s Under No Illusion Recordings. thats when I first started to speak to Ki Creighton who is now also a really good friend of mine and who is a great friend of Yousef. We also did a collaboration ep together “Tijuana Ep” which Yousef signed and the rest is history as they say. haha
His Circus Records has housed your Tijuana EP and the summer’s massive Free Spirit EP, but has Yousef mentored you in any way aside from this? His industry knowledge must be immense.
- Its amazing to have such an amazing dj/producer such as Yousef involved behind the scenes, Yousef is also mentoring me on a personal level and we speak on a daily basis. Yeah you’re not wrong there it’s immense
When we think clubbing in Liverpool we think Circus. Can you tell us a bit about what Yousef’s party has done for the scene in the city? Is there plenty of producers in the city breaking through like yourself now?
- The Circus parties are immense and have been for the past 12 years now. Liverpool has always had a musical history and there is a lot of talent in the city and its not just on the House/Techno scene, there is a lot of great young EDM producers breaking through and not that its something that I am into myself but its something I respect alot. I think its safe to say that over the past few years merseyside on its own has produced some amazing producers such as the likes of David Glass, Lauren Lo Sung, Bontan just to name a few, plus likes of Tom Quinn, John Ross Jnr & Corey James showing the EDM big guys how its done. So safe to say Liverpool is thriving with talent and don’t forget my the amazing “Angel” who was behind probably the biggest track of last year with yousef “float away”.
2014 has been kind to you. When did you know it was going to be big?
- When i was asked to be apart of Emerging Ibiza and the hype that “Free Spirit” was creating was immense
Highlight of the year to date?
- Playing on top of Ushuaia Tower along side Steve Lawler & Yousef. That was something special
What would you be doing if you weren’t producing and spinning bangers?
- To be honest I couldnt see myself doing anything else. Music has been in my blood from a early age from listenig to the likes of ub40, pink floyd to hip hop disco. My parents have lead me to this journey and I couldnt think of doing anything different.
This time last year you were probably busy getting the 2 EPs mentioned above primed and ready. Did they exceed your expectations?
- I am happy with everything and feel really privileged to have come this far so quickly but i feel this is only the start of things to come, i am happy with having 2 Eps out on such an amazing label and also a lil secret for you guys, there is another one coming 2015.
The Kydus track we should keep our eyes and ears peeled for in 2015?
- I would say “Flight One 11” and my EP with “The Angel”
1 hidden gem that always does the business for you?
- Lee Cabrera – Special 2003
Your favourite track of 2014?
- Damian Muller, Andre Butano – Casa Del Aire (Circus Recordings) HUGEEEE