Glasgow boys Barrientos & Illyus have been on a fine run of form lately. Their recent mix of Kokri’s ‘Retrospect’ went down a treat at WWD HQ. With all the commotion surrounding the pair, we felt a catch up was in order. We talked studio, Love & Other and new music. It’s all below, enjoy!
Thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions guys! We hear you’re busy working away in the studio, what have you been working on this week?
- We’ve been pretty busy with remixes mainly – finished up remixes for Gorgon City, a remix for Armada Music’s new sub-label, a remix for Alley Oop on Yes Yes Records and a cheeky exclusive edit for Traxsource of our forthcoming single ‘Need Me’ on Glasgow Underground! Phew!
You’re back on Love & Other with your latest release, a killer remix of Kokiri – Retrospect, tell us a little bit about how you guys put the track together!
- We listened to the original, loved that but wanted our spin on it. We usually have that take on remixes where we like to strip it all back! The piano line Kokiri did is awesome so we didn’t want to mess with it. We played around with some new chords over the vocal, then figured we should just go with making this one a club thing with a nice chunky bassline! That’s basically it.
There’s some lovely records in the Love & Other discography already, aside from your own work, what have been the standout tracks for you both?
- There’s such a mix to choose from but we both agree that the Vanilla Ace remix of Brett Gould is just amazing. Original mix is also excellent, we’re pretty much playing it out every gig now!
Having collaborated on numerous occasions you must find it enjoyable in the studio together? What can you tell us about each other’s production strong points? And… what about their bad habits?
- We’ve found a nice flow in the studio which has helped us become more creative and productive. We definitely bounce off each other which always helps the enthusiasm. Illyus’ strong points are that he gets super weird and anal about EQ’ing/compression/reverb etc. but it definitely is beneficial as the final sound is what we like. I’m sure Illyus reckons my strong points will be related to writing musically, I’m the “midi wizard”… Bad habits is that Illyus is too messy and I’m too tidy…
Lastly, how do you guys plan on finishing out the year? More new music? Any big dates on the horizon?
- There’s a few gigs coming up which we are looking forward to. Music wise we’ve been working on remixes so expect a bunch of them to come out over the next few months plus our new EP ‘Need Me’ is coming out on Glasgow Underground in November. So, yeah, lot’s happening!