With a career spanning more than 25 years, DJ / producer Angel Moraes is known for his excellence and true mastery of sound design. As he drops his brand new single ‘Dancin Wit My Baby’, including a hot remix from Darius Syrossian, we grabbed some top studio tips from the expert.
1. Always go into the studio with an open mind. The reality is that music is universal, so there is no such thing as a shitty track, only opinion. While there are lots of people out there judging music or trashing it or praising it, thats exactly the reaction or effect that music has on our lives, whether its good or bad is a matter of opinion cause someones trash maybe someone else’s treasure. So never be afraid to either explore different directions and please never make the mistake of not putting something out cause you don’t like it, or some other negative reason because you may be surprised at how much someone else will love it.
2. I’ve been around great music all my life and the one thing that has always been a constant is there is a huge difference between listening to a track and listening to a track on a great set of speakers. To me there is nothing like a good listen to one of my favorite tracks on an exceptional set of speakers and I truly believe that great monitoring is a must, that being said sometimes a crappy monitor is more honest than a so called “great one”, So where recording is concerned, always try to record and work with a good reference monitor and always look for the opportunity to play back the finished product on less than stellar speakers, because if it sounds good there, it´ll sound good anywhere. One of the reasons I still use Yamaha NS 10s even though lots of people don’t like them. They don’t get it.
3. Don’t waste time trying to make something mediocre sound good, I’ve been in studios with people that get very hooked on a sound thinking they will not find a better one or something close to what they are looking for, but end up spending hours trying to make a bad sound good. If a certain sound doesn’t move you, then move on to the one that will. Its better to waste time looking for something new and fresh instead of trying to polish something that just doesnt cut it. Remember you can’t polish a turd.
4. In todays over saturated market the last thing you want to be is another one on the pack. You want to stand out, be different, create a sound or a technique people haven’t heard. Don’t be afraid to be musical, to take chances, to expand, cause that’s where true creativity manifest’s itself and that’s how you´ll truly stand out and contribute something different.
5. In a world thats constantly changing and where we have everybody and their grandmother either producing, remixing or Djing, I think above all else the best you can do is stay true to yourself. Remember you may not be doing the right thing according to some people and not everyone is gonna like what you do, but if it comes from the heart then its always the right thing to do, cause even if its wrong because it was genuine, you can live with it.
‘Dancin Wit My Baby EP’ is out now on Griffintown Records. Buy Here